If you have excessively large breasts, or macromastia, then you know they can cause a number of physical and emotional problems for women. Reduction mammoplasty, also known as breast reduction surgery, consists of removing excess glandular tissue, fat and skin to give women breasts that are more in proportion to the rest of their body. This surgery helps many women lift the burden caused by large breasts.
Here are some reasons why you would want to consider a breast reduction:
- Surgery can help alleviate back, neck and shoulder pain and prevent or reduce any nerve damage as a result.
- Many women experience spinal problems, tingling in the hands and carpal tunnel, which can be a result of having excessively large breasts.
- Surgery removes the weight of the breasts and helps women regain a better posture.
- Many women do not like the social stigma associated with excessively large breasts and do not like the unwanted attention that they bring.
- Overly large breasts can prevent many women from participating in sports and certain physical activities because of physical limitations. Women may also avoid these activities as well as professional and social activities because they are self-conscious of their breast size.
- Women with large breasts may have a difficult time finding clothing that fits comfortably and appropriately to their body.
- There are two different incision types, but your surgeon will help you determine which approach is best for you and the condition of your breast skin.
- The areola on each breast can be reduced during surgery to make them in proportion to the new breasts and the rest of the body.
- Women will notice incision scars that will always be present but continue to improve with time. Your surgical team will give you advice for minimizing the appearance of scars.
- You will want to take it easy for the first 1-2 weeks after surgery. You may need to take up to two weeks off from work and avoid strenuous exercise for up to six weeks.
A breast reduction is often a life-changing surgery that helps improve women’s body image and self-confidence. To learn more, call (617) 965-9500 for a consultation with Dr. Silverman.