You’ve undoubtedly heard of Botox®, but you may not know how it works.
Here are 12 things to know about the most popular aesthetic cosmetic procedure in the world:
- Botox® was approved by the FDA for eye spasms in 1989.
- Botox® was approved for wrinkles, fine lines, creases and frown lines in 2002.
- Botox® is made from botulinum toxin type A, a neurotoxic protein produced by bacteria. This is the same bacteria that causes botulism.
- Scientists found that injecting tiny amounts of botulinum toxin type A into a muscle temporarily paralyzed that muscle. This is important for your face because muscles are the cause of wrinkles around the forehead and eyes.
- Wrinkles form because you make repeated muscle contractions when you laugh, frown and squint. When injected into the muscle, Botox® blocks nerve signals to that muscle, stopping its contraction. Without the contraction, the wrinkle above the muscle either disappears or dramatically lessens.
- The results of Botox® are not immediate. Botox® takes about a week to fully relax the targeted muscle.
- The full results of a Botox® treatment last three to four months and may be combined with other treatments such as dermal fillers.
- The frown area between the eyes is the most common area to be treated and usually requires five small pokes with a fine needle.
- The degree of improvement depends on how deep the creases are when you begin treatment. Everyone sees some improvement.
- Botox® does wear off. Most of Dr. Silverman’s patients love it, however, and return for repeat injections.
- If you do happen to experience a very rare side effect, Botox® will wear off and everything will go back to normal.
- Why should you consider a Botox® cosmetic treatment?
• For Facial Relaxation: Botox® eases that “angry” look.
• For A Lift: Depending on which way certain muscles pull, Botox® can give a lift to your eyes and mouth corners helping you look more rested.
• For Prevention: Botox® slows down the creation of lines and creases.
Curious? Want to know more? Call and schedule an appointment with Dr. Silverman to discuss the amazing benefits of Botox® Cosmetic: (617) 965-9500.