When you are planning to undergo plastic surgery, it’s important to not only find the right surgeon to help you achieve your aesthetic and functional goals, but it’s also important that you do what you can to prepare yourself for the surgery itself and a smooth recovery period after. Here are six things you can do to prepare for successful, smooth recovery from plastic surgery.
- You will be given instructions during your consultation and when you have your actual surgery. It’s important that you follow your surgical team’s instructions thoroughly. Your surgeon will also give you instructions for what to do to prepare for a successful surgery in the days or weeks leading up to the big day. There’s a reason they advise patients to do what they do, and it’s for smooth surgery and recovery.
- Depending on the surgery you are having, it’s important to line up help getting to and from the surgical center. If it’s outpatient surgery, you will want to be sure you have a ride home and someone to stay with you overnight or for a few days, if necessary.
- You may need to prep your home in advance. You will want to arrange your home in a particular way for a certain amount of time. You may be required to avoid stairs, or need a special bed or recliner for recovery. You may also need a caretaker to help with household chores or meals.
- If you care for children or others in your home, you may need to make arrangements for someone else to help you care for them during this time so you can focus on your recovery.
- It’s important to have a healthy frame of mind during recovery and show patience. Understand that the recovery period may vary from patient to patient. Healing takes time, and results may not be evident right away. If you are experiencing any emotional ups and downs during recovery, understand that it’s a normal part of the recovery phase. Be sure to talk to your surgical team about your feelings as they are there to support you.
- If something isn’t right during recovery or your results aren’t meeting your expectations, be sure to talk to your doctor and the surgical team about your concerns.
It’s important to be well informed as you go into surgery about what to expect during the actual procedure and how to care for yourself after surgery. If you’re thinking about undergoing a plastic surgery procedure, call (617) 965-9500 to schedule a consultation with Dr. Silverman.